Oak Park Runners Club members have the opportunity to compete for and earn several different types of awards that are presented at our annual December Holiday Party and Awards Banquet . Award winners receive either OPRC-branded items or engraved plaques.
To win a Participation Award, club members must earn a minimum of 40 participation points between January and November. Point accumulation is tracked by the OPRC Board Members. You can earn points in the following ways:
Runner of the Year
- Run a CARA Runners' Choice Circuit Race and submit results - 2 points per race
- Run a CARA Registered Race and submit results - 1 point per race
- Attend club meetings and sign in - 3 points per meeting
- Attend Monday Run of the Month events and sign in - 3 points per event
- Attend Trail Run of the Month runs - 3 points per run
- Attend Holiday Party - 4 points
- Volunteer as a Club Officer - 8 points
- Volunteer as a Race That's Good for Life Committee Member - 6 points
- Write an article for Footnotes - 3 points
- Volunteer at the Chicago Marathon Aid Station - 4 points
- Volunteer on Race Day for the Race That's Good for Life - 3 points
- Volunteer for Race That's Good for Life Poster Blitz - 3 points
- Volunteer for Race That's Good for Life Packet Pick Up - 2 points
- Volunteer to hang No Parking Signs for the Race That's Good for Life - 3 points
- Volunteer for high school set-up for Race That's Good for Life - 2 points
- Present an OPRC monthly meeting program - 5 points
- Host OPRC party - 5 points
The Runner of the Year Award is chosen by the OPRC Board members and is based on several criteria tracked between January and November, including, but not limited to,
Most Improved Runner
- Participation in club activities
- Number of races run
- Number of CARA Circuit races run
- Race results with special emphasis on CARA Circuit races
- Age-graded scores
The Most Improved Runner Award is given to one male and one female club member who have shown a significant improvement in their running ability from the previous year to the current year. These awards are chosen by the OPRC Board members and are based on the race results submitted by members to the Club.
The Continuing Champion award is chosen by the OPRC Board members and presented to the Club member who has shown continual excellence in running from year to year. This award may not be presented every year.
The Significant Achievement award is chosen by the OPRC Board members and is awarded to the Club member who demonstrates the ability to go above and beyond with his or her running.
The Club Service Award is chosen by the OPRC Board and is presented to the OPRC member who gives a large amount of their time and energy to club events. This award honors those members that are active in helping the Club but may not race or run as often as other members.
Hall of Fame Inductee
The Hall of Fame honors long-time members who have contributed significantly to the development and/or continued excellence of the OPRC. Inductees must have a minimum of 10 years in the Club and a history of excellence in running and/or dedicated service to OPRC. Hall of Fame Inductees are chosen by the OPRC Board members.